Friday, January 31, 2014

Dante Ponce happy to be back

D

Dante Ponce



Dante Ponce launched his showbiz career in the ’90s along with other pretty-boy balladeers like Calvin Millado and Ariel Rivera.


Like Ariel and Calvin, the good-looking and talented Dante was predicted to be headed for stardom in no time.


However, Dante turned his back from show business and left for the US in 1993.


“I went to America kahit alam ko na mamimiss ko ang naumpisahan kong career kasi gusto ko maging responsible family man. Sa America kasi ako nag-asawa. Noong una bumabalik-balik ako dito to maintain my career. Pero mahirap so I decided to go full-time sa America.”


While in the US, Dante went into management and sales and he also established a photography business. He worked hard for his family. He and his wife, who is a doctor, have four children; the eldest 18, the second 16, the third 14 and the youngest 10.


Its been 20 years since Dante went to America, “Pero parang kahapon lang and I’m very happy na nakabalik na ako. While in America, doing various jobs, it’s always in the back of my mind to come back. It’s my passion for what I started – singing and acting – that kept that dream alive. Alam ko babalik ako sooner or later. And now I’m back! At dito na ako for good.”


Dante’s wife and children are very supportive of him and he’s very happy for that because without their support, he won’t be able to accomplish anything.


Right now, his wife is employed in Brunei, and Dante stays in Binan, Laguna with one of their sons. The two others are in the US pursuing their studies.


Before leaving for the US in 1993, Dante recorded one album under Alpha Records, appeared in sitcoms and drama shows. he also did one movie. “Even then, my career was going towards acting, although I started as a singer.The last drama series I appeared in was one with Ariel Rivera on Channel 2. And now I’m back, sa Channel 2 din.”


A week after Dante and family arrived in he Philippines in August 2013, he was given the role of Gen. Roger Barredo in the teleserye “Galema.”


Andi Eigenmann plays the title role of Galema and Gen. Barredo is her father. “My role is a good guy. The show is rating well, I think hanggang April pa kami. I didn’t expect my role to evolve deeper kasi when I was told na I’ll be playing a general sabi ko, hanggang kailan kaya? kasi ang mga sundalo ang unang casualties. Pero sabi ko, ok na yun. exposure naman ang hanap ko muna.”


He didn’t have the chance to prepare for his character because, when he arrived, “pre-casting na sila.”


He added, “So I was intimidated. Ka eksena ko pa naman sina Tito Lito at Tita Divina.”


Dante noted the changes in the entertainment arena.


“While before, concentrated sa movies, now sa TV na, sa mga teleserye,” he said.


He also noted the abundance of young actors in the scene. And although he wants to do movies too (especially indies, which has made its mark in international film festivals), Dante believes that TV allows for better exposure these days.


“Malakas talaga ang exposure sa TV. Yung role ko sa ‘Galema,’ it’s very interesting. My exposure is really fast. Wala pa ako six months dito, sa labas kilala na ako because of that show. It’s been so much fun so far, the production staff takes care of the artists very well.”


Dante is looking forward to do more shows like “Galema.”






Dante Ponce happy to be back

Source: Mb.com.ph (February 01, 2014 at 01:07PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment