Monday, March 31, 2014

Andrew Mayne combines magic and mischief in new Lifetime series


Andrew Mayne.



Magician Andrew Mayne uses his antagonistic sense of humor to create an arsenal of illusions in helping someone exact revenge on a friend or family member who has done them wrong.


But with a charming demeanor that recalls Jerry Seinfeld, Bob Saget and fellow illusionist David Copperfield, he somehow stays incredibly likeable despite his politically incorrect edge.


Thanks to his knack for both magic and mischief, it comes as no surprise that Andrew headlines a new show for the Lifetime network called “Don’t Trust Andrew Mayne”.


In a recent interview with InterAksyon and other Asian media, Andrew insists that the title of the series is a misnomer.


“I think you should trust me, I’m totally trustworthy. You trust me to have a good time, you trust me to have fun. I don’t think you should trust that title. I think ‘Don’t Trust Me’ is ironic. Sure, sometimes I borrow things and I don’t give them back, sometimes I make things blow up even if you don’t want that to have happen. But, face it, you got to take your chances,” he quipped.


Andrew said what makes his show different from other similar series about magic is about “trying to push magic in a different area”.


“Magic is a way to tell stories and I wanted to tell different kinds of stories and in this case, how I can use magic to help people. A big part of the show is trying to play pranks on people but the heart of the show is using it to make a difference,” he pointed out.


But while Andrew concedes that magic is largely illusion, the idea of using it “to have a real effect in this world” is something that very much appealed to him.


“In this case, somebody who loves somebody else but they’re just not listening, maybe they’re wasting their time on the phone or they’re always obsessing over their car and doing something to call attention to that and say hey, you need to, you need to pay attention to what this person is trying to say and people at home, I think, can relate to that.”


For Andrew, playing pranks is a surefire way to get someone’s attention, not to mention it’s also a fun twist on performing magic.


“I’ve always been a prankster. My family played pranks when I was growing up, my brother and I played pranks at each other and I had an interest in magic. You know, it’s one thing about having you pick a card and I make the card appear somewhere else, but what if I do that with your wedding ring? I make your wedding ring appear attached to a fence and that’s a really cool trick.”


Asked how he feels about being compared to other magicians, especially Criss Angel who has been a staple of primetime television more than any other magician in history, Andrew said there’s no rivalry between them.


“I know Criss, and he is a very hardworking guy. He’s been out there longer than I have and anytime my name gets mentioned with somebody who’s been working that hard and who’s achieved that much success, I can only be flattered,” he declared.


Aside from Criss Angel, Andrew also cites several other magicians as inspirations.


“David Copperfield is impressive. When I was a teenager, I worked with him in one of his TV specials and I saw how disciplined he is. I saw the same kind of perfectionism in somebody had taken it into magic, which very few people did,” he revealed.



Andrew Mayne performs a trick in 'Don't Trust Andrew Mayne'.



“There’s also David Blaine. When he first came into the scene and introduced street magic At first I didn’t, I couldn’t see, it was hard for me to appreciate to it. When I thought about it and the more I realized how much he’s changed magic forever.”


Asked if he ever got a chance to meet or work with Filipino magicians, Andrew happily revealed that he’s always had very intelligent Filipino people to mentor and help him.


“My head magic consultant Enrico Dela Vega is actually Filipino, so there’s a big influence in the show. He is an amazing magician who has worked with Cyril Takayama, who in turn is a great magician in his own right. He was actually my go-to guy who makes sure that everything worked. His family is from the Philippines. Also, my judo teacher was from the Philippines,” he confessed.


And yes, Andrew would love to visit the country and perform here at some point. For now, his fans would have to settle with watching him in the comforts of their own home. He assures everyone that there’s a lot of fun to be had in the 13 episodes of what is hopefully only the first season of “Don’t Trust Andrew Mayne”.


“I don’t take myself too seriously. I’m not out to prove to the world that I’m the best magician in the world. Think of me as your friend that you bring to a party and plays tricks on everybody. And know that I’m not a mean person, I’m really not, sometimes I make people squirm but I make sure that everybody leaves happy and glad with the experience.”


“Don’t Trust Andrew Mayne” premieres this Tuesday, April Fools Day, at 10:10PM on the Lifetime Network.






Andrew Mayne combines magic and mischief in new Lifetime series

Source: InterAksyon.com (April 01, 2014 at 01:30PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment