Sunday, November 30, 2014

Meryl Streep on motherhood, beauty, aging and love

Los Angeles – “I would like to heal the sick,” Meryl Streep revealed when we asked what magical power she would like to have. “I think we all have healing energy and we can help each other. We can also hurt each other. It’s two sides of the same coin.”


The 65-year-old award-winning actress talked to us at the Waldorf Astoria in New York about love, children, beauty, motherhood and her role in Rob Marshall’s musical fantasy film, “Into The Woods,” where she portrays The Witch.


meryL streep; (inset) in characrter in ‘Into The Woods’

meryL streep; (inset) in

characrter in ‘Into The Woods’



On aging gracefully and naturally, Meryl said, “Sometimes women get mixed up and they think that if they’re more beautiful, they’ll be more loved. They think that if they look better on the outside, they are more lovable, that gives them meaning in the world. So just like The Witch, she thinks that if she gets this potion and become beautiful, her daughter won’t be ashamed of her anymore. She will stay with her and, of course, it doesn’t have anything to do with how she looks. It has to do with how mean she is and the beauty in her heart.”


Growing up, she revealed, her mother never told her to be careful. “I used to go out in the woods all day with a little gang of kids and she’d say, ‘Come home when you hear the bell’ and not worry,” she narrated. “It was a different time. That has changed. Childhood has really changed in that way.”


As for her own kids, Meryl disclosed, “I remember when my little boy was maybe two or three, a six-year-old boy was taken from a street in Soho, four blocks from where we lived. He was going to meet the bus on his first day of school and his mother watched him in the corner. Seconds later, he was taken and that changed childhood in New York City. That event for everybody I knew who was a parent, really did shift things. People went nuts.


“So with my own kids, I tend to be supervisory in everything I do. I was more the bad cop and more worried. My husband was more laissez faire but I think the film identifies the strains of dread that live in you once you are a parent. Nothing should happen. But things always do and you are hard pressed00 to prevent it.”


In the movie, The Witch was also an overprotective mother. In her life, was there an incident where her children said, “Back off mom,” we asked.


Meryl replied, “You know the feeling of everybody else is allowed to, why can’t I? I don’t care if everybody else is allowed to. I remember saying them to my mother and her saying I don’t care. These things carry on but the mothers often are the task masters, aren’t they?”


So what keeps her grounded and normal, as most of her colleagues described her, we asked.


Meryl replied, “I don’t know if I am normal. I don’t know what normal is. I feel so grateful.


That’s all just for the opportunities. I have friends who have not had these same opportunities.”


As for being called “normal,” she continued, “I don’t even know what normal is. I have four children. Each one is different. Which one is normal? Which one is abnormal? Are they all normal? Or are they all abnormal? And is it my fault or is it their father’s fault?”


As for love, Meryl admitted, “Love is everything to me.”






Meryl Streep on motherhood, beauty, aging and love

Source: Mb.com.ph (November 30, 2014 at 10:00PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment