Sunday, May 25, 2014

Alma Concepcion, an epilepsy survivor

Alma Concepcion

Alma Concepcion



Many don’t know that former beauty queen-turned actress Alma Concepcion is an epilepsy survivor. They say epilepsy isn’t curable but after 28 years, Alma is now free of the disease.


In a recent interview we had with her at Hannah’s Beach Resort in Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte (where we were both judges in the Mr. & Ms. Eco-Tourism Ambassador 2014 competition), Concepcion revealed that two years ago, her neurologist told her to stop her medications, which she had been taking since she was eight years old.


“This is a miracle for me,” she said. “I’ve been taking this medication for 28 years, it has become a part of my life, so until now I can’t believe that I’m not taking it anymore,” exclaimed Concepcion.


As to why she kept her condition a secret for so long, Concepcion said, “Kasi I felt that it was a liability for work, parang feeling ko hindi makakabuti sa impression sa akin as an actress. I didn’t want it to be a hindrance to my work. Now na gumaling na ako, sabi ko ‘Lord, anong message mo sa akin? Siguro I shouldn’t keep it a secret anymore?’ Maybe I should talk about it para makatulong sa iba.”


Actually, some parents have been trying to contact Concepcion to talk about being an epilepsy survivor.


Anyway, about her acting career, Concepcion (who just graduated with the degree of Interior Design from the University of the Philippines) proudly bared that she has a movie coming up. Entitled “Bagong Dugo,”

it is slated to premiere on May 26 at the Fisher Mall Cinema. Regular run starts on May 28.


“Bagong Dugo,” the initial presentation of 3J’s Productions, is an action film starring Joem Bascon, Mark Gil, Monsour del Rosario, Dick Israel and Roi Vinzon among others, with Val Iglesias as director. Concepcion plays the mother of Bascon. “My character could be seen at the opening and closing scenes of the movie. It’s a role that I like very much because it is unique. At this stage of my career, ang gusto ko na rin na gampanan ay mga roles na meaty and challenging.”


Concepcion belongs to the Carvajal showbiz clan so it was expected that she would follow in the footsteps of her grandparents (her grandfather was Alfonso Carvajal), her mom, and aunt (the late Dabiana was her mom’s sister).


Asked what she plans to do with her degree, Concepcion said, “It’s actually my second degree, my first degree is International Business. With Interior Design, after I get my licensure exam, I intend to design and build condos or houses. Okay lang ako mag-design and construct, ‘yun ang plan ko.”






Alma Concepcion, an epilepsy survivor

Source: Mb.com.ph (May 26, 2014 at 11:10AM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment