Thursday, September 19, 2013

Jasmine thrilled ‘Transit’ on the way to Oscars



Jasmine Curtis-Smith, Manila Bulletin, Manila Bulletin Entertainment

Jasmine Curtis-Smith (Photo by Marjorie S. Duran)



Jasmine Curtis-Smith could hardly believe that her movie, the Cinemalaya entry “Transit,” is the country’s official entry in the Foreign Language Film category of the 86th Academy Awards.


In an exclusive interview with Bulletin Entertainment at the gala night of “Puti” at the Newport Cinemas inside Resorts World Manila, she recalled asking herself, “Is this legit?” after “Transit” film editor, Benjamin Tolentino (@ben_Tolentino) tweeted her that “Transit is PH’s entry to the Oscars!!!!”


Jasmine was inside a school library when she got wind of the news “so niresearch ko (kung totoo) ‘tas may nag-tweet ng link ng (news site) so I was like, ‘oh my gosh it’s true,’ so I get out of the library, I was crying, calling my manager.”


The Kapatid talent thinks “Transit,” which tackles the life of Filipino migrant workers in Israel, best represents the Philippines.


“Because it’s very truthful to the story, it shows (through the character) the Filipino society being challenged, and it’s good for us Filipinos to see that because we don’t know what’s happening to our Kababayans in other countries.


“It was so fragile to do that story because isang mali lang and you offend so many OFWs or family of OFWs.”


Asked if she prioritizes doing indie films over mainstream movies, the Cinemalaya Best Supporting Actress related, “No, I think (I am) just presented with a good opportunity, it was the right timing so you know everything has its own season with film and TV shows and now is the time for my indie films.”


She expressed willingness to do more indie projects.


“I would love to. I think it’s very ‘me’ to say that I would be part of the indie world,” said she.


Jasmine stars in “Puti,” an entry to the first CineFilipino Festival topbilled by Ian Veneracion. It is a psychological thriller about a painter who figures in a car accident that renders him color blind. Directed by Mike Alcazaren, other cast members include Lauren Young, Bryan Pagala and Leo Rialp.








Jasmine thrilled ‘Transit’ on the way to Oscars

Source: Mb.com.ph (September 19, 2013 at 04:05PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment