Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The ‘Gwaping’ is now an artist



Jao Mapa, painting, Manila Bulletin

A PAINTING by Jao Mapa



It was early this year when I started collecting paintings of master artists and up-and-coming painters (feeling may kultura na ’ko ngayon!). I really don’t know what hit me but I think I’m already starting to get obsessed with artworks (obsession na talaga?!). My favorite hangout place now is the art gallery (minsan nag-a-art gallery tour pa ’ko!). Recently, in doing my usual rounds of galleries (usual na talaga ito!), I saw some interesting pieces signed by a rather interesting name: “Mapa,” So imagine my shock when the curator answered in the affirmative when I jokingly asked, “So, gawa ito ni Jao?” He proudly said: “Opo, si Jao Mapa po…” (totoo pala, akala ko wow mali!).


I suddenly remembered that Jao and I were schoolmates in UST. I was with the Communication Arts Department while Jao was a student of Fine Arts major in Advertising. So I immediately called up Jao and congratulated him (close kami?!).


“I started painting since college. I’m a figurative expressionist. Colors are more of my strength than figures. I was inspired by the works of Malang, Ang Kiukok and Edades,” shares Jao, who had the chance to be part of the Salingpusa group artist headed by beauty queen-artist Maria Isabel Lopez.


Jao says his artworks are products of good mood and right timing. “My subjects are labanderas, chess players, mag-inas, farmers… mga very Filipino themes… mga simpleng socio realism sa tabi-tabi… I can finish the big ones in three weeks, the small ones, I can produce two in a day…” His latest artworks are on display at the Galerie Anna, SM Megamall until Oct. 1 (kita tayo du’n bro. Chos!).


Aside from his passion for painting, he had tried taking serious roles in movies and soaps, and also ventured into theater acting. Jao was a member of teen group, The Gwapings.


“I’d like to be good in being an entertainer-actor and be a painter as well… I’m acting with Stage Bros Company and I have done several indie films,” Jao says.


Showbiz is something he wants at this point. Turned freelancer recently, Jao hopes to get a part on a TV series with any network (okay lang ba ako ang partner mo, bro?!).


He differentiates acting frompainting as such: “Showbiz is a business that you sell a personal piece of yourself while in painting is just as much the same but this time painted on canvass” (bro, please paint me… wearing this… only this…Titanic lang ang peg!).


• • •


106.7 Energy FM stages its Energyzed concert series at the Raja Solaiman Park, Roxas Blvd. on Sept. 27 featuring Energy FM DJs Jovit Baldovino, Ronnie Liang, Gloc-9 and other Pinoy performers. It is open to the public… for FREE! Ibang-iba ka Pangga (push!)!


(MR. FU hosts on 106.7 Energy FM, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. and TV5. Twitter: @mrfu_mayganon)








The ‘Gwaping’ is now an artist

Source: Mb.com.ph (September 25, 2013 at 10:00PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment