Sunday, October 6, 2013

Fil-Am animator works on ‘CL2’



John Butiu, Fil-Am animator, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, Manila Bulletin

Fil-Am animator John Butiu has worked on ‘Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2’



Los Angeles – When we did an underwater interview with Barry the Strawberry in Cancun for “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2,” we found out that the popular character in the computer-animated comic science fiction film was animated by Filipino-American animator, John Butiu.


A sequel to the 2009 film, which was loosely based on Judi and Ron Barrett’s book of the same name, “Cloudy…2” or “CL2,” was directed by Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn.


7barry 1

Barry the strawberry model and expressions



John, who also worked on “The Smurfs 2,” was behind such films as “2012,” “Independence Day,” “The Day After Tomorrow,” “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” and “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.”


He revealed that in “CL2,” he was part of the 3D visual development team. “I worked alongside Justin Thompson, who was the production designer for ‘CL2,’” he said. “I helped design and create in 3D several environments for the film: San Franjose, Live Corp, Flint’s Apartment, Swallow Falls Jungle, Big Rock Candy Mountain, miscellaneous buildings, Barry the Strawberry, as well as 3D visual development sizzle piece.”


In the sequel, scientist Flint (voiced by Bill Hader) and his friends are forced to leave their hometown. But when the food machine awakens, this time producing sentient food beasts, they must return to save the world.


Other members of the cast of “CL2” include Anna Faris as Sam Sparks, James Caan as Tim Lockwood, Andy Samberg as Brent McHale, Neil Patrick Harris as Steve and Benjamin Bratt as Manny.


John Butiu, building models, Manila Bulletin, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

Various building models and designs that John Butiu helped to make



In his research for this project, John looked at images for San Francisco, various buildings and architecture of futuristic buildings, museums, among others. “I also looked at wacky and colorful plants and environments as well,” he added.


He confessed that Barry the Strawberry was his favorite character in the movie “because he is happy-go-lucky, smiling, cute, and I modeled him!”


John, who worked on the project for two years, faced some challenges as well.


He disclosed, “I worked on this for around two years, from early 3D visual development, modeling and designing the environments/characters to marketing. The challenges included helping to create and design the buildings on the fly and working with the production designer and directors, helping solve problems in design elements in the film as well as adding a camera to the scene as I created these 3D models to match the storyboards.”


He added, “It was both challenging and fun to have my input on designing the sets.”


John Butiu, building models, Manila Bulletin, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

Various building models and designs that John Butiu helped to make



John revealed how he worked with the “CL2” directors: “They would do a weekly ‘drive by’ at my desk and I would show them what the 3D set/environment would look like as well as adding a camera to the scene to match the boards. They would then give me their opinions and I would either make the changes interactively in Maya 3D software or I would do the changes and would get notes later on.”


As for his future projects, the Davao-born animator said, “I’m hoping to work on ‘Cloudy 3’ if all goes well and perhaps other projects like ‘Hotel Transylvania 2,’ ‘Smurfs 3,’ and ‘Popeye.’”


So does he ever dream of doing a Filipino animation, we asked. “Yes,” he replied and explained, “If I ever do a Filipino animation, it would be about helping the poor and needy in the Philippines as well as encouraging and giving hope, and inspiring those who are less fortunate.”


Email the writer at janetrnepales@gmail.com for your comments or questions. Follow her on Twitter at https://twitter.com/@jrnepales.








Fil-Am animator works on ‘CL2’

Source: Mb.com.ph (October 06, 2013 at 10:00PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment