Every time I see actor Joey Paras on TV or in the movies, I remember how the two of us always talk about positive thinking.
It started when I accidentally saw him with a common friend in a restaurant. They were talking about life’s ups and downs, so I “educated” them about the power of positivity (feeling maalamin ako sa mga bagay-bagay!). I remember Joey telling me: “Friend, tatandaan ko ’yan! Kailangan ko ’yan!” The good vibes continued even on Facebook. Whenever we get the chance to chat, it is always about having the right energy to achieve the desires of our hearts (may desire?!).
It seems his positive disposition is leading him to a lot of great opportunities. Way back in college, (senior ko siya sa UST) he was very active in our theater group and in joining singing contests (siya ang aming MITOY noon, chos lang!) until he focused on theater. He is the Artistic Director and Founder of Teatro Expedicion De Filipinas. He eventually landed several TV projects and films, and became one of the most sought-after gay sidekicks of lead actors (lumalagare ang lola ko na idol ko pagdating sa tamang timing!).
“I’m always happy whenever I have work. Bida man or support, as long as may trabaho, I feel blessed. Ang treatment ko sa lahat ng TV/film/theater offers ay trabaho. Wala sa isip ko kung bida ako or not. As long as maganda ang role, may sense at masarap pag-eksperimentuhan, ginagawa ko. Sa learning na nakukuha ko from there, nandu’n ang fulfillment ko as an artist,” Joey shares.
He has worked with the best actresses and actors in the industry but he counts Eugene Domingo and Dingdong Dantes as his favorites. “Si Eugene kasi pareho kami ng lupang nilalakaran. May pagmamahal sa craft niya. Down to earth kahit award-winning na. Galing ng teatro, kaya nakaka-relate ako and si Dingdong naman, isang perfect gentleman!”
The Cinemalaya 2013 Best Supporting Actor for “Babagwa” is happy with the big projects he is getting but fame is not his priority, he just wants work (and I suppose good pay with matching pangkabuhayan showcase!).
“I used to have this dream of becoming an artista when I was bata pa. When I started doing legit theater, naiba ang konsepto at pananaw ko, ayoko na maging mainstream artista. Hindi ko pangarap at priority ang sumikat. Trabaho lang ang habol ko,” Joey explains.
On Oct. 23, Joey will mark another milestone in his career with the release of his launching film, “Bekikang.” Joey is proud of his movie, saying that 80% of it is based on his life story. “Hindi ito typical comedy film na puro slapstick at KABAKLAAN lang” (sino bakla, pare?!).
With Joey’s talent, determination and discipline, he can still achieve more as an artist (parang konti na lang haligi na ng industrya?!).
“I want to be remembered as a respected artist more than just a typical gay celebrity,” Joey said. (parang taob si Miss World 2013 Megan Young sa sagot na ’to ha! Push!).
(Mr. Fu hosts on 106.7 Energy FM, 8 a.m., Monday to Friday and TV5. Twitter: @mrfu_mayganon)
Joey Paras: ‘I don’t want to be your typical gay celebrity’
Source: Mb.com.ph (October 02, 2013 at 10:00PM)
Continue...
No comments:
Post a Comment