Friday, October 11, 2013

Lynn Sherman jazzes up theater act with standout performance in ‘The Bluebird of Happiness’


Lynn Sherman in character as Tylette the cat in 'The Bluebird of Happiness'.



Considered as one of the country’s finest jazz singers today, Lynn Sherman has been appearing in theater musicals since the mid-1990s.


Among her most memorable performances were as The White Witch in Trumpets’ production of “The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe” in 1997 and as Joanne in the New Voice Company and Atlantis Productions’ presentation of “Rent” in 1999.


It comes as no surprise that Lynn’s portrayal of Tylette, the scheming cat, is considered as one of the decided standouts in Trumpets’ 23rd anniversary production “The Bluebird of Happiness”, which runs until October 20 at the Meralco Theater. “Tango of Treachery”, her song and dance duet with Joel Trinidad, who plays Night, is regarded by critics and audiences as one of the original Filipino musical’s highlights.


Surprisingly, Lynn was not even familiar with the Belgian play from which “The Bluebird of Happiness” was adapted by director Jaime Del Mundo and composer Rony Fortich, or the Shirley Temple film that is now regarded as a Hollywood classic.


“I first heard about the play from Audie Gemora almost two years ago where I also learned that I might possibly play the cat character in the play. However, I only saw the movie, on YouTube like two months before the musical started,” she recalled.


Yes, unlike many of the other cast members, Lynn did not have to audition for the role of Tylette. “I wasn’t in the country when auditions were happening. I’m not sure if it was Audie’s or Jaime’s idea. I also don’t know if its because they know I am a cat person. However, I did drop by and sing Tylette’s song, the ‘Tango of Treachery’ with Rony Fortich before rehearsals formally started . I don’t know if that could qualify as an audition but I did get the role.”



Lynn Sherman performs 'Tango of Treachery' with Joel Trinidad as Night in this scene from 'The Bluebird of Happiness'.



In bringing Tylette’s character to life onstage, Lynn said once she figured out the cat’s desperate desire to become permanently human, everything was easy.


“Mostly I felt she was just too eager not to ever get back to her cat form. I had to also get over the fact that I had to portray a ‘bad’ cat . After that I thought well she’s a cat who became human so natural laws don’t really apply. From that point on, I just had fun playing her,” she revealed.


Although Lynn continues to perform as a solo singer and admitted to having a lot of fun sharing the same stage with Bituin Escalante, Arthur Manuntag, Mel Villena and the AMP Big Band during the well-received “All That Jazz!” concert at the Genting Club of Resorts World Manila, doing theater is something she loves doing in between singing engagements.


“I love being in plays. While being in a play can be scary, it’s also quite liberating and a lot of fun. I certainly would love to be in another one if I get the opportunity,” she enthused.






Lynn Sherman jazzes up theater act with standout performance in ‘The Bluebird of Happiness’

Source: InterAksyon.com (October 11, 2013 at 05:59PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment