Saturday, October 5, 2013

Megan makes appearance on BBC



Megan Young, manila bulletin, manila bulletin entertainment

Megan Young (Screengrab from YouTube)



In her first-ever interview on the British Broadcasting Channel (BBC), Megan Young related that she is not worried about critics, noting further that she would rather focus on her duties as Miss World 2013.


“My goal this year to prove to people what Miss World does, what its purpose,” she told BBC World News.


As to naysayers, Young added: “Well, you can’t please everyone.”


Young nevertheless admitted that winning the crown wasn’t something she expected. If anything, she was actually preparing to lose.


“I just wanted to have that ‘acceptance,’ in that, if I win it’d be spectacular but if I don’t then it’s fine with me,” she revealed.


While being crowned Miss World “hasn’t sunk in yet,” as she puts it, Young cannot hide her happiness.


“It’s heartwarming for me because we’ve had a lot of issues going on for the past months back home with the tragedies that had been happening; and for me, to be that spark of hope and inspiration (to people) back home, for me to be able to uplift the spirit of my fellow Filipinos, is an honor actually,” she said.


She revealed she initially wasn’t interested in joining Miss World or any pageant, for that matter, admitting that she used to think it “very superficial.”


“I didn’t see any essence in me joining. (I used to ask myself) ‘What would I get out of it?’ ‘What would be my purpose?’”


She was eventually convinced to make a go of it after she was made to realize that Miss World wasn’t all about just the “glitz and the glamor” but more about helping people in need.


“The purpose of Miss World is to reach out to people, to reach out to the less privileged, and my goal this year is to not only do that but to let people know what they can do to help as well,” she related.


Asked if she has plans specific to addressing the plight of the Filipina, Young replied: “I think I’d rather start small… helping encourage people and putting that hope (in them) that there is still tomorrow and that they don’t have to suffer and that they don’t have to think negatively. It’s always that positive outlook that gets people to evolve.”


Prior to her appearance on BBC World News, the official Miss World site published a video of Young being interviewed in a cab as she toured London for the first time.


Young is expected to make her homecoming on Oct. 11.








Megan makes appearance on BBC

Source: Mb.com.ph (October 05, 2013 at 08:19PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment