To turn 80 is a feat and where better to celebrate it than home? This is why Queen of Jazz Annie Brazil, US-based for a long time now, is in the Philippines – to celebrate her milestone via a special concert billed as “S Wonderful” at Solaire Resorts and Casino tomorrow, Oct. 5.
A little background on Ms. Brazil: She started singing at a very young age, and through her passion for music, she has traveled the world. And though petite, she has stood tall on stage in conquering the hearts of audiences around the globe with her distinct, jazzy style.
During her younger years as a singer, Annie Brazil has had the rare privilege to jam with the world’s jazz legends like Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton, James Moody, Ellen Marsales and Sarah Vaugh.
Among the trophies she has received in recognition of her singing prowess was the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Filipino-American Jazz Society.
Ms. Brazil is the mother of proud son Richard Merk who is himself dubbed the “Prince of Jazz.” “Minana ko ang kanyang genes sa jazz singing, without that I wouldn’t be here. When I was younger, he would bring me to her jam sessions and I had the chance to meet some of the great jazz singers. It was the most interesting and memorable time of my life meeting those jazz legends,” said Richard.
Richard and his New Jersey-based sister Rachel Anne Wolfe-Spitaletta will also perform at their mother’s special concert “S Wonderful at the Solaire.” Said Rachel of her mom: “She’s an amazing woman. She made her way all by herself to Greenwich Village (in New York) where she performed for many years and made a name.
“Actually, my mom made a name everywhere she traveled. If you ask her to stop singing, she will stop breathing…”
Other jazz artists performing at Annie Brazil’s concert are David Foster’s protegee Renee Olstead, Jacqui Magno, Jay Dirias, Emcy Corteza, Jeannie Tiongco, and Isabelle Ledesma Gonzales.
About sharing the stage with Annie Brazil, Renee Olstead said “Its such an honor. She’s so incredible, I hope when I grow up I have much of the life and the fire that’s inside her . I’m really honored.”
Jeannie Tiongco: “I met Tita Annie at the Conquer Lounge with Tito Molina. Sobrang excited ako noon. Doon ko narinig na talagang ibang klase ang boses niya, you will be captivated with her voice. It really was an awesome experience.”
Emzy Corteza: “I admire her and its an honor to sing by her side, it’s a dream come true.”
The concert, presented by Solaire Resorts and Casino, is for the benefit of Women’s Media Circle Foundation, Gota de Leche Foundation and Ayala Foundation.
Queen of Jazz Annie Brazil in town for a special concert
Source: Mb.com.ph (October 04, 2013 at 06:30PM)
Continue...
No comments:
Post a Comment