My heart has a special spot for talented people seeking a second chance in their careers. I can relate with them since I experienced a lot of challenges and rejections before finally landing the job I really want (ang drama ha!). That’s why in watching several episodes of ABS-CBN’s “The Voice of the Philippines,” I rooted for the singers who already started their careers way back, underwent trials, then aim to try their “luck” again in the industry. One of them is Radha (bata pa ako, Radha na siya! Oops!).
I was one of many people who witnessed the success of Radha and her group Boom, which later changed its name to Kulay. She was the best example of a beautiful singer with a beautiful voice. She eventually went solo and occasionally “appeared and disappeared” in the limelight (parang kabute lang ang peg!). That’s why I got so excited when I saw her again on “The Voice of the Philippines” (sa sobra kong excited, gusto ko siyang kalabanin! Chos!).
“Nung may tumawag sa akin to join, I said, baka ang tanders ko na for that! Pero sabi niya, ‘Hello, may 60 years old nga!’” Radha quips.
Citing a reason for joining the show, she admitted, “Nanunood naman talaga ako ng ‘The Voice.’ So I know how it goes. I said yes to it because I also want to explore.”
Radha won many fans while she was on the show; many thought she would win the contest. Her colleagues in the industry would campaign for her through social media especially since many of them know her caliber. She served as coach and producer of several albums of other artists (siya na!).
Falling Forward
Unfortunately, a week before the finals, she lost to Mitoy who got higher text votes and became the eventual winner in the contest (sorry, ’di kasi ako nakapag-text!).
“Actually, mas umiyak pa mga tao sa paligid ko, kesa sa’kin. Of course, I appreciate their love for me. Pero during that time bago i-announce, okay na ’ko, when Lea gave me a higher score,” Radha shares.
Radha looks forward to great opportunities after this once in a lifetime experience. She dreams of having an album again. She wants to do a ’70s inspired songs because for her, “I just love the ’70s. I love the freedom, the fashion, the philosophy.” She is even thinking of having a collaboration with ’70s icon, Lolita Carbon. She was inspired by Lolita’s performance with apl.de.ap during the finals (feeling ko nga, dapat si Lolita ang nanalo talaga ng ‘The Voice!’).
Her artistry has captured the attention of a lot of people but there’s something in her that only a few can attest to: She is a certified “Babaeng Bakla.” She speaks the language and understands gay culture (parang bakla ’pag kausap mo, ’di kaya kabarkada niya si Rustom noon?!).
“I am reserved on stage and in front of the camera. But you know me, off cam. I love being with my gay friends. Hey, baka after your article is published, Lola na ang itawag nila sa akin!” (so, payag ka nang maging lola ko?! Push!).
Radha’s second coming
Source: Mb.com.ph (October 09, 2013 at 10:00PM)
Continue...
No comments:
Post a Comment