Singer Michael Johnson of “Bluer Than Blue,” “Doors” and “I’ll Always Love You” fame is back in the Philippines for the third time and he’s certainly “moved” with the visits.
“The first time was the day of the earthquake in 1990! That’s why whenever I was asked after that ‘What do you like about the Philippines?,’ I say ‘It’s earthshaking – and it’s not my fault!” he told Bulletin Entertainment and select members of media at a press conference held last week, a day after the earthquake in the Visayas.
But natural calamities aside, Johnson is moved by how Pinoys love his “romantic sad songs” even in the time of twerk and techno. He notes that while people hate saying goodbye to a loved one, they seem to like hearing all about it when set to music.
In his series of concerts this month, Michael joins a team of artists whose biggest hits can make even grown men cry: Stephen Bishop (“Separate Lives”), Joe Puerta of Ambrosia (“I Just Can’t Let Go”) and our very own Side A (“Tell Me”). They performed at the Big Dome last Oct. 18 and are set to conquer Midas Hotel in Pasay City on Oct. 23 and the University of Southern Philippines in Davao City on Oct. 26.
To borrow a line from Def Leppard, bringing on the heartbreak, huh?
“Every word has to be right in your heart. It has to be from the heart. It has to be genuine,” he said of songs that touch hearts.
Michael recalled meeting Filipino singer-songwriter Jose Mari Chan in New York City who told him how much Pinoys love “I’ll Always Love You.” He was incredulous at first but was totally convinced during his first show in the country.
Talking about the first time he heard Pinoys sing his songs back to him, Michael said, “It was amazing! At the time, I was more popular here than I was in the States. It was quite a thrill. Surprising.”
The singer thinks Filipinos are sweet and attentive. And get this, he loves Philippine weather.
“And I was raised Catholic like many of you guys. And studied classical guitar in Spain…” he pointed out.
Sweet.
(The “Back 2 Back 2 Back” concert featuring Michael and the three other artists was presented by Viva Live and Redstone Production, and sponsored by Phoenix Petroleum)
Why Michael Johnson keeps coming back to PH
Source: Mb.com.ph (October 26, 2013 at 08:00AM)
Continue...
No comments:
Post a Comment