Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The prayer behind my ‘Let’s Ask Pilipinas’ win

Aga Muhlach, Manila Bulletin

Aga Muhlach



The first words out of my mouth after winning a whopping P325,000 on Aga Muhlach’s new daily game show “Let’s Ask Pilipinas” were: “Ang taong may mabuting layunin, pagpapalain (Blessed is the man whose purpose is for the good).”


The money is not going to my shopping foundation or to my children’s scholarship fund. Instead, it will be donated and used for the rehabilitation of my hometown Bohol, especially Clarin Church, which was left in rubbles after the recent earthquake. I’ve also set aside some of the cash for the city of my friend Cristina Gonzales Romualdez, Tacloban and its neighboring areas damaged by super typhoon Yolanda.


Two weeks ago, I wrote about the fundraiser that actor Cesar Montano and singer Noel Cabangon mounted for the earthquake victims in Bohol. Together with Dingdong Dantes, Leo Valdez, Rivermaya, Jimmy Bondoc, Joey Generoso of Side A and so many more artists, we raised several thousands of pesos to buy tents through Cesar’s Panaghoy Children’s Foundation. Apparently, many Boholanos have been sleeping outside their houses since the earthquake that’s been recorded to experience up to 15 aftershocks per day. During the fundraiser, I saw singer and fellow Boholano Luke Mejares and he told me how he started his own fundraising activity for Bohol and was able to raise almost P100,000 so far. His seed money was also from his winnings on “Let’s Ask Pilipinas.”


Luke inspired me to pray that I be given money for the people that badly need it.


The next day I got a call from “Let’s Ask Pilipinas” to join their game. How fast God answers prayers! The timing of the invitation was absolutely perfect as Father Alex Bagabaldo had recently invited me to participate in his medical mission in Zambales. I promised him that if I win, my foundation will donate P50,000 for medicine that the typhoon-struck people in Zambales need. He told me, “Panalo ka na. I claimed it na kay Lord.” I just laughed but secretly wished his claim would come true.


On the day of the contest, I entered the set, which happened to be in the comforts of my home. Weird? A franchise of the US hit “Let’s Ask America,” the local version airs on TV5 and contestants get to play via video conference call using their computers and laptops. Every episode, four contestants will try to correctly predict what the majority of Pinoy respondents have answered to questions on various day-to-day situations. Playing the game is simple and does not require any specific expertise, just a lot of common sense and luck. For example, the first question Aga asked the four contestants was, “Ano ang mas trip ng Pinoy, bigote o goatee?” We all answered goatee as “bigote” is just soooo ’70s! And we were all correct.


By the end of each of the three rounds, the contestant with the lowest cash total is eliminated. Andrew Wolffe was first to be eliminated when he answered “liposuction” to the question, “Anong ipapagawa ng mga Mister sa katawan ng Misis nila kung may chance na malibre ang operasyon?” We answered “dibdib” except for Andrew Wolffe, which was ironic because I know this guy and he is a “breast” man! For all it’s worth, he showed all of us his abs before leaving the game show, hihihihi!


One by one, my contenders folded, and I found myself being asked by the handsome Aga Muhlach if I will wager all of my money so I could get P325,000. If I did not wager all my money, my winnings will just be as much as P80,000. I was thinking of all the victims hit by the calamities, Bohol, Leyte, Zamboanga, Zambales, and Tacloban. I needed six figures to maximize my help. I turned to God and said, “This isn’t for me. So let’s see your hand in this please?” I wagered all my winnings. If I made a mistake, nothing will be left for me to give.


In a matter of seconds, I won the P325,000. God is good. Thank you Lord for making me an instrument to help others.






The prayer behind my ‘Let’s Ask Pilipinas’ win

Source: Mb.com.ph (November 12, 2013 at 10:00PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment