Monday, December 2, 2013

Diving sensation Tom Daley reveals he is ‘dating a guy’

Tom Daley: I'm dating a guy and I couldn't be happier (Screengrab from his coming out video titled "Tom Daley: Something I want to say...")

Tom Daley: I’m dating a guy and I couldn’t be happier (Screengrab from his coming out video titled ‘Tom Daley: Something I want to say…’)



Olympic diving star Tom Daley has published a heartfelt coming out video that ended all speculations about his sexuality.


“Now I feel ready to talk about my relationships. And come spring this year, my life changed massively when I met someone and it made me feel so happy, so safe and everything just feels great.


“And that someone is a guy,” he divulged in a 5.25-minute video posted on his YouTube account, Monday, Dec. 2.


Despite dating girls in the past, he clarified that he never had a serious relationship with any of them. The 19-year-old said he has now found the person that makes him happier.


“My whole world just changed there and then. Of course I still fancy girls but, I mean, right now I’m dating a guy and I couldn’t be happier. It feels safe and it really does feel right,” he said.


His decision to speak up about his sexuality was prompted by a misquoted report, in which he is said to have denied he’s a gay.


“For me honesty is something I really do believe in. I’ve always been honest. I may have been vague in some of my answers but I’ve always been honest,” he stressed.


He said he opted to make the announcement on video so his words couldn’t be “twisted.”


Daley hopes that people will still support him as much as his family and friends do. He points out that he still the same teenage athlete that is optimistic to fulfill his dreams.


“People are going to have their opinions and people are going to make a big deal of it. Is it a big deal? I don’t think so.


“People will think, ‘What would your dad have said?’ And he always said to me, ‘As long as you’re happy, I’m happy.’ And right now, I couldn’t be happier. My mom’s been very supportive as well. I can count the number of people I’ve told on my hand but all my friends and family I’ve told have been so supportive which has been great,” he said.


Tom Daley (Photo from his Facebook account)

Tom Daley (Photo from his Facebook account)



The London 2012 bronze medalist is now heading off to Houston for training, with him hoping to win an Olympic medal in Rio 2016.


The video, the making of which was, for him, “a hard decision to make,” immediately went viral on different social networking sites. As of this writing, it has already amassed over 400,000 views on YouTube with more than 28,000 likes. The numbers are also fast climbing for the clips posted on his linked Twitter and Facebook accounts.






Diving sensation Tom Daley reveals he is ‘dating a guy’

Source: Mb.com.ph (December 02, 2013 at 10:37PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment