Tuesday, September 17, 2013

‘Showbiz Police’ co-host Direk Joey Reyes overjoyed to be part of Sineng Pambansa filmfest


Director Jose Javier Reyes. (Teddy Pelaez/InterAksyon)



Like the other entries in the Sineng Pambansa National Film Festival: All-Masters Edition, Jose Javier Reyes’ “Ano ang Kulay ng mga Nakalimutang Pangarap?” is a dream project that has long been in the backburner for the outspoken filmmaker.


“I have been wanting to do this film for the longest time but never had the chance to do so because I know commercial or mainstream producers would never accept a project that centers on an 80-year-old woman as its lead character,” the master director told InterAksyon in a recent interview.


“I knew that there would be too many compromises if I pitched this material to major studios so I waited for the right opportunity when I can do this project the way I wanted to do it.”


That opportunity was provided by the Film Development Council of the Philippines when they invited Direk Joey to be part of the Sineng Pambansa film festival. With the P1.5 million seed money that came with the invitation, the veteran filmmaker got the startup fund to get the film going.


For the lead role of Teresa, the nanny who has dedicated 60 years of service to a middle-class family at the expense of her own happiness and fulfillment, Direk Joey only had Rustica Carpio in mind. As one of the most enduring film and theater actresses that he personally admired, he also saw his film as a fitting tribute to her storied career.


“I have known about Rustica Carpio’s work as a theater person and an academician, but we have never had the chance to work together. After seeing her work with Brilliante Mendoza, especially in ‘Lola’, I knew that I had to find the chance to be with her on the set. When I was putting together ‘Ano ang Kulay’, I knew that Rustica Carpio would be the only actress to give life to the role of Yaya Teresa,” he recalled.



Direk Joey with cast members Rustica Carpio, Kim Rodriguez and Bobby Andrews at the Sineng Pambansa grand reception. (Teddy Pelaez/InterAksyon)



But while the film was intended to be a tour de force vehicle for Tita Rustica’s nuanced yet effective acting, “Ano ang Kulay” is also a remarkable ensemble piece that features a strong cast, including Ryan Agoncillo, Jackie Lou Blanco, Bobby Andrews, Chynna Ortaleza, Alwyn Uytingco and Cinemalaya 2013 Directors Showcase Best Supporting Actress Ruby Ruiz.


Another actress who stands out in the film is 19-year-old Kapuso actress Kim Rodriguez who plays the young Yaya Teresa. Kim was recently honored by the PMPC Star Awards for Movies as New Movie Actress of the Year for her work in Direk Joey’s “Mga Mumunting Lihim” last year.


In the film’s trailer, Kim bears a striking resemblance to TV5 primetime princess and Cinemalaya 2013 New Breed Best Supporting Actress Jasmine Curtis-Smith.


“Like Jasmine, Kim belongs to the new breed of dramatic actresses who are heirs apparent of those who are in the limelight today and not only for their beauty but also for their talent. I had the chance to mentor a workshop where Kim participated and the moment I saw her I knew she had the makings of a star. After working with her, I am assured that she is not just a star but has the potential to be a major actress,” Direk Joey noted.


Then there’s Ryan Agoncillo who seems to reserve his best work for Direk Joey whose films he and wife Judy Ann Santos are often cast in. All but one of Ryan’s acting nominations from several award-giving bodies were from his performances in films directed by Reyes including “My Househusband: Ikaw Na” and “Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo”.


“The Agoncillos are not only co-workers, they are my neighbors and personal friends. I dearly love them like family and Ryan in particular is one of the most underrated actors around. He is so well known for his expertise as a host but never fully recognized as an actor. Given the right vehicle, he shines. I hope this project provided that for him.”


While “Ano ang Kulay ng mga Nakalimutang Pangarap” is only on a limited run at the Sineng Pambansa festival which ends Tuesday and may not likely be extended, Direk Joey is nonetheless both overjoyed to be part of an event that honors him and fellow master directors Peque Gallaga, Lore Reyes, Maryo J. de los Reyes, Mel Chionglo, Elwood Perez, Romy Suzara, Tikoy Aguiluz, Gil Portes, Joel Lamangan and Chito Roño.


But as someone who does not hesitate to articulate his often strong views on just about every issue whether it concerns entertainment or not, Direk Joey who is not also a mainstay of TV5’s new entertainment talk show “Showbiz Police” said commenting on films made by his fellow colleagues is something that he won’t do on the air.


“I do not want to do reviews of films done by my peers because I am still a practicing film director and writer. It is unethical and unfair since I have the platform to ventilate my views and they do not,” he pointed out.


“It is not a matter of changing hats where today I am an on-camera personality and tomorrow I work behind the camera. It cannot work that way. It has to do with giving integrity to both sides of my coin. I may have opinions about the works of others but as long as I am writing and directing, it will not be in good taste nor fine manners to say it out loud in front of a camera or any public venue for that matter.”






‘Showbiz Police’ co-host Direk Joey Reyes overjoyed to be part of Sineng Pambansa filmfest

Source: InterAksyon.com (September 17, 2013 at 04:20PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment