Monday, October 21, 2013

‘World’s most successful pianist’ Richard Clayderman to perform in Manila this November


Richard Clayderman.



Named by the Guinness Book of World Records as “the most successful pianist in the world”, Richard Clayderman has sold over 80 million records worldwide.


Here in the Philippines, Clayderman (born Philippe Pagès) is best known for his signature tune “Ballad pour Adeline” — more popularly known to television fans as the background music for “Lovingly Yours, Helen”, the hit weekly drama anthology that lorded over the Sunday afternoon slot on GMA Network from 1980 to 1996.


Despite his fruitful musical career anchored mainly by the tune’s enduring popularity, the French-born pianist never actually performed in the country—until now. In a recent telephone interview with InterAksyon, the now 59-year-old Clayderman said that he is looking forward to his November 16 concert at the PICC Plenary Hall where he will also get to play with our local musicians.


“I’m very excited because I will play with three sets of Filipino musicians. I know there are a lot of good musicians in your country which is why I consider myself very lucky to be in your country for the first time,” he enthused.


Having traveled in many parts of the world, he said every country he visits becomes instantly close to his heart. Aside from the Philippines, he will also perform in Malaysia and China as part of his Asian tour to promote his latest album “Romantique”.


Asked about the secret of his success and why so many people are able to connect with his mostly unforgettable piano instrumentals, Clayderman simply says it’s mainly because of the “nice melodies” he plays.


With regards to the song that put him on the world map, Clayderman revealed that “Ballad pour Adeline” was actually written by fellow Frenchmen Paul de Senneville and Olivier Toussaint as a tribute to the latter’s then newborn daughter, Adeline. During auditions conducted by Toussaint in 1976, Clayderman won the right to record the game-changing instrumental ballad over 20 other aspirants.


“The real Adeline is now 36 years old and is living in Italy. Sometimes I get the opportunity to speak with her. Two months ago, I was in vacation with her in Germany,” Clayderman replied when asked whatever happened to Adeline. Even though he doesn’t get to see her as often as he used to, Clayderman still thinks of Adeline whenever he plays the song.


“When I play this gentle ballad always I think of Adeline’s adventure. It’s very nice, very simple. I think the song touched the hearts of a lot of people from around the world,” he conceded.


Dubbed for former US First Lady Nancy Reagan as the “Prince of Romance”, Clayderman considers classical music icons Chopin, Mozart and Bach as his idols. He paid his dues by starting his career as an accompanist and session musician until “Ballad pour Adeline” changed his life forever.


His other big hits include “A Comme Amour” and “Letter to my Mother”. During the height of his popularity, Clayderman would play as many as 200 concerts outside of France in a span of only 250 days.


With the release of his new album, which again includes “Ballad pour Adeline”, Clayderman said that he intends to play most of the other tracks in his coming Manila concert.


“I will play my ‘West Side Story Medley’ as well as the familiar melody from the movie ‘Schindler’s List’,” he revealed. “I hope the Philippine audience will like the new songs just as much as they enjoyed my past work.”


MCA Music (Universal Music Philippines) proudly presents “Richard Clayderman: The Romantique Concert Live! In Manila” on November 16, Saturday, 8PM at the PICC Plenary Hall. For ticket information, visit www.smtickets.com. “Romantique” is also now available in CDs at Astroplus, Odyssey Music & Video and Fully Booked or online via Smart Music http://www.smart.com.ph/music or iTunes http://smarturl.it/RCromantiqueph






‘World’s most successful pianist’ Richard Clayderman to perform in Manila this November

Source: InterAksyon.com (October 21, 2013 at 06:15PM)

Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment