Cristina Gonzales-Romualdez dropped 10 lbs. from not eating and sleeping for days after Typhoon ‘Yolanda’ hit Tacloban. She was in Manila to follow up with the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) on the immediate delivery of the basic needs for the Taclobeños
“I learned that what just makes us different in this earth is our career. Somebody is a politician, somebody is a politician’s driver… but after a disaster, everyone is just the same. Wala ng councilor, wala ng housekeeper. You all need the same things to survive and you share those things as much as you can to help each other survive.”
This is what Tacloban Councilor Cristina Gonzales-Romualdez said to me in all calmness and serenity when I asked her about the most valuable lesson she learned from the recent “Yolanda” typhoon that struck Visayas and her city, claiming thousands of lives and destroying millions-worth of properties.
The wife of Tacloban Mayor Alfred Romauldez continued, “After the storm surge, our high walls were down, the same with all our neighbors. Everyone was looking for Betadine for their bruises and wounds. Luckily one driver found Betadine floating and we all fell in line sharing that one bottle of Betadine. It did not matter if you were a rich businessman or the security guard. We all shared.”
I suddenly remembered the game of chess. There are two kings, two queens, two bishops, several pawns but after the game, when you put them all in a box, “pantay-pantay na sila, lahat naka-kahon na.” In death and disaster everybody becomes equal.
I was expecting to see a broken and traumatized Cristina when we spoke, but she was calm and in peace – opting to keep her faith and act towards rebuilding lives.
“The sound of the typhoon was like a screaming woman at the highest pitch of her voice. It was like the end of the world. I just kept on praying Psalm 91 over and over… you have to have presence of mind so that you can make the right decision when you are in the middle of a disaster.
“After the surge, we saw my husband Alfred outside. He was still evacuating people when the storm surge happened. He was crying because he thought he lost us since he almost lost his life as well as they were near the open sea when it happened.”
As of press time, Mayor Alfred is in Tacloban, still helping his people, trying to provide basic needs like food and water to the survivors. I asked his wife if he has a message to the press and media since he is nowhere to be seen in television.
Kring showed me a text from Alfred: “The last few days, due to our being undermanned, I have been busy doing rescue and relief ops. I also helped clear the main roads PERSONALLY. Marami ang nagsasabi, di daw ako makita sa TV o radio. Sana maunawaan ng mga Taclobanon at ng general public kung bakit ko naging prioridad ang pagtulong sa mga namatayan at rescue/relief ops kaysa sa makita sa TV, radio at dyaryo.
“Kulang na kulang ang beinte-kwatro oras sa isang araw ko. Grabe ang sinapit namin! I almost lost my family, too. I can’t describe the pain in my heart right now. Konting pasensya pa po. Konting tiis na lang po. Walang iwanan dito. Help is on its way.”
The following are Bible verses from Psalms 91: One to 14 that I hope would help comfort the nation:
“Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night,or the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.”
(Please email me at giselleoffice@gmail.com so we can get your donations for Tacloban or course you through the proper channels)
Heart-to-heart talk with Cristina Romualdez
Source: Mb.com.ph (November 19, 2013 at 10:00PM)
Continue...
No comments:
Post a Comment