Miss World 2013 Megan Young meets the wards of an orphanage in Port au Prince in Haiti in this screenshot moments before part of the building collapsed on October 31.
Miss World 2013 Megan Young has returned to the safety of her London headquarters and said she was “relaxed and feeling better” one week after figuring in an unfortunate accident at an orphanage in Port au Prince in Haiti.
“I’m a bit better, I’m not as shaken as I was a couple of days ago. I’ve been able to rest and [analyze] in my mind what has happened and now I’m a bit more relaxed and feeling better,” the 23-year-old Filipino-American actress and film student said in an interview published late Thursday on the Miss World website.
Young was lucky to escape unscathed after falling through the second floor of the orphanage when it collapsed, but Miss World chair Julia Morley and one of the orphanage’s 78 wards were injured.
Although the experience shook her up, she considers it the very definition of the Miss World motto of “Beauty with a Purpose”.
“I think it’s an eye opener not only for me but for everyone else. It’s something that people can look at and can see what’s going on and think about what they can do to help. I mean you hear so much about beauty with a purpose. But what exactly is it? This is it. It’s about going to places that need the world’s support, finding out exactly what they need, and giving it to them,” she said.
Young regrets that the accident had cut her Haiti trip short but promised to return to check up on the ongoing Miss World project in the area of Pestel. She will return to New York later this month for a series of charity events to benefit the Haiti relief fund.
Before she flew back to London, she had stayed with the family of her half brother in the States and visited her mother and childhood best friend in Virginia where she was born and raised until she was 10.
Meanwhile, Ms. Morley has been recuperating after a a hip operation at a hospital in Miami, where she was airlifted after the accident.
“I’m recovering as quickly as I can, and I am being looked after with the best of care. Megan is a very brave girl and I know she will continue our fundraising really well in my absence,” she said.
Megan Young ‘feeling better’, calls orphanage accident in Haiti ‘an eye-opener’
Source: InterAksyon.com (November 08, 2013 at 08:58AM)
Continue...
No comments:
Post a Comment