Brillante Mendoza’s “Sapi” almost got an R-18 classification rating from the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB).
“Sapi,” which tells the story of a news team’s exploitation of an actual demonic possession to up their ratings, was eventually given a final R-13 rating by the regulatory board.
“Noong pina-review ko ang pelikula, sumama ako kasi alam ko magkaka-concern sila with some images, especially towards the last part,” Mendoza shared in an exclusive interview with PEP.
The international award-winning director was referring to scene in which a snake exits one of the lead character’s – played by Meryll Soriano – private part.
Mendoza explained the importance of the scene, which used “a body double for Meryll.”
“It’s not there only for shock value but ito na ’yung totality (at) peak of what I want to say: That evil is within us.”
Mendoza, who originally wanted a PG-13 rating, asked for a final rating of R-13, “but not R-18 kasi my audiences are basically students.”
“You won’t believe it; I have about 500 to 1,000 students watching my films. I have been doing school tours for three years already, and I have been showing my films all over the country. And I don’t want na matanggal ang scenes na iyon at hindi maipalabas just because we find it a bit graphic.”
He thinks that such scenes will educate and broach a more critical thinking to young audiences, and uplift the viewers’ taste in Filipino movies.
Mendoza had to explain to the MTRCB reviewers “kung bakit ganoon ’yung scene,” a discussion he described as “quite tedious.”
“The reviewers had to discuss again, and I got nervous. Until, finally, they approved the film for exhibition, with an R-13 rating – without cuts,” he ended.
It was not the first time the man behind Cannes-showcased opuses “Kinatay” and “Serbis” shot such a scene. In “Thy Womb,” the character played by Lovi Poe (also a body double) showed her as she was giving birth.
Mendoza explains R-13 rating for ‘Sapi’
Source: Mb.com.ph (November 09, 2013 at 02:25PM)
Continue...
No comments:
Post a Comment